Ice Age: Continental Drift – A Fun and Furry Adventure for the Whole Family
If you are looking for a movie that will make you laugh, cry, and cheer, then you should check out Ice Age: Continental Drift. This is the fourth installment in the popular Ice Age franchise, and it follows the adventures of Manny, Sid, Diego, and their new friends as they sail across the ocean on a floating iceberg. Along the way, they face many dangers, including a ruthless pirate captain and his crew, who want to stop them from returning to their home. Ice Age: Continental Drift is a movie that will appeal to both kids and adults, as it has a lot of humor, action, emotion, and heart. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Ice Age: Continental Drift, including its plot, cast, release date, reviews, and download options.
What is Ice Age: Continental Drift about?
Ice Age: Continental Drift is a 2012 American computer-animated adventure comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and distributed by 20th Century Fox. It is the sequel to Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) and the fourth installment in the Ice Age film series. The film was directed by Steve Martino and Michael Thurmeier (in his feature directorial debut). The plot focuses on Scrat mistakenly sending Manny, Sid, and Diego adrift on an iceberg with Sid’s Granny and causing them to face a gang of pirates led by Captain Gutt on Earth. The film was released in the United States on July 13, 2012, as the first Ice Age film to be presented in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. The film received mixed reviews from critics, but it grossed $879.7 million worldwide, making it the fifth highest-grossing film of 2012 and the highest-grossing animated film of 2012.
Who are the main characters and voice actors?
The main characters of Ice Age: Continental Drift are:
- Manny: A woolly mammoth who is overprotective of his teenage daughter Peaches. He is voiced by Ray Romano.
- Sid: A sloth who is reunited with his Granny, who he thought was dead. He is voiced by John Leguizamo.
- Diego: A saber-toothed tiger who falls in love with Shira, a female pirate saber-toothed tiger. He is voiced by Denis Leary.
- Granny: Sid’s grandmother who is feisty and eccentric. She has a pet whale named Precious. She is voiced by Wanda Sykes.
- Scrat: A saber-toothed squirrel who is obsessed with acorns. His actions cause the continental drift. He is voiced by Chris Wedge.
- Peaches: Manny and Ellie’s daughter who wants to hang out with her friends and her crush Ethan. She is voiced by Keke Palmer.
- Captain Gutt: A Gigantopithecus who is the leader of a pirate gang that captures Manny and his friends. He is voiced by Peter Dinklage.
- Shira : A female saber-toothed tiger who is Gutt’s first mate and Diego’s love interest. She is voiced by Jennifer Lopez.
- Ethan: A young woolly mammoth who is Peaches’ crush. He is voiced by Drake.
- Other characters: The film also features the voices of Queen Latifah as Ellie, Manny’s wife; Josh Peck as Eddie and Seann William Scott as Crash, two opossum brothers; Nicki Minaj as Steffie, Peaches’ rival; Nick Frost as Flynn, a friendly elephant seal; Aziz Ansari as Squint, a prehistoric rabbit; Rebel Wilson as Raz, a prehistoric kangaroo; Kunal Nayyar as Gupta, a badger; Alain Chabat as Silas, a blue-footed booby; and Simon Pegg as Buck, a one-eyed weasel.
The continental break-up and the iceberg journey
The movie begins with Scrat trying to bury his acorn in the ice, but he accidentally triggers a massive crack that splits the Earth into continents. Meanwhile, Manny is having trouble with his daughter Peaches, who wants to hang out with her friends and Ethan, a cool mammoth who doesn’t like her father. Manny forbids Peaches from going to a secret party at the falls, but she sneaks out anyway with her best friend Louis, a molehog. Sid is also having family issues, as his long-lost Granny arrives and he has to take care of her. Diego feels lonely and wonders if he will ever find love.
As the crack reaches the valley where the herd lives, Manny, Sid, Diego, and Granny are separated from Ellie, Peaches, and the others. They end up on a floating iceberg that serves as a makeshift boat. They decide to use it to get back to their home. Along the way, they encounter a group of sirens that lure them with their illusions, but they manage to escape. They also meet a new friend, Precious, Granny’s pet whale who helps them navigate the waters.
The encounter with the pirate gang and the escape plan
However, their journey is interrupted by a pirate ship led by Captain Gutt, who wants to recruit them into his crew. When Manny refuses, Gutt tries to kill him and his friends. They manage to escape by creating a diversion with Granny and Precious, but Gutt vows to get revenge. He also takes Shira hostage, as she failed to catch Diego during the chase.
Manny and his friends find a new iceberg boat and sail towards their home. Along the way, Diego and Shira bond over their similarities and feelings. Shira eventually decides to join Manny’s herd and help them against Gutt. She tells them that Gutt is planning to attack their home with a giant ice ship.
The reunion with the herd and the final showdown
Manny and his friends finally reach their home and reunite with Ellie and Peaches. However, they soon discover that Gutt and his pirates have arrived and captured the other animals. Gutt threatens to kill Ellie if Manny doesn’t surrender. Manny agrees to give up his boat in exchange for his family’s safety. However, Gutt betrays him and tries to kill them anyway.
A fierce battle ensues between Manny’s herd and Gutt’s pirates. Manny fights with Gutt on the ice ship, while Diego fights with Shira against Squint, who has taken control of Scrat’s acorn. Sid and Granny use Precious to blast the pirates with water jets. Peaches and Louis also join the fight and rescue Ethan and his friends from danger.
Eventually, Manny defeats Gutt by sending him flying into the air with a log. He then reunites with his family and friends on their iceberg boat. They celebrate their victory and happiness.
Reviews and Reception
What did the critics say about the movie?
Ice Age: Continental Drift received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 37% based on 131 reviews, with an average rating of 5/10. The site’s critical consensus reads: “Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D has moments of charm and witty slapstick, but it often seems content to recycle ideas from the previous films.” On Metacritic, the film has a score of 49 out of 100 based on 29 critics, indicating “mixed or average reviews”.
Some critics praised the film for its humor, animation, voice acting, and action sequences. For example, B ill Goodykoontz of The Arizona Republic gave the film 3.5 out of 5 stars and wrote: “The humor is smart, the action sequences are exciting, the animation is crisp and the voice work is great. What’s not to like?” Similarly, Rafer Guzman of Newsday gave the film 3 out of 4 stars and wrote: “The fourth installment in this animated franchise is fast-paced, family-friendly, 3-D fun.”
However, some critics criticized the film for its lack of originality, creativity, and emotional depth. For instance, Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and wrote: “It’s amiable enough, but it feels as if it’s just going through the motions. The charm and novelty have worn off.” Likewise, Claudia Puig of USA Today gave the film 2 out of 4 stars and wrote: “The story feels both warmed-over and overextended. And the humor lacks freshness.”
What did the audience think of the movie?
Ice Age: Continental Drift was more popular with the audience than with the critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an audience score of 58% based on 250,000 user ratings, with an average rating of 3.4/5. On Metacritic, the film has a user score of 6.1 out of 10 based on 287 ratings, indicating “generally favorable reviews”. On IMDb, the film has a rating of 6.5 out of 10 based on 204,000 votes.
Many viewers enjoyed the movie for its entertainment value, humor, characters, and animation. For example, one user on IMDb wrote: “I loved this movie! It was hilarious and had a lot of action. The characters were awesome and the animation was amazing. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes comedy and adventure.” Another user on Rotten Tomatoes wrote: “This movie was so much fun! I laughed so hard at the jokes and the antics of Scrat and Granny. The voice actors did a great job and the story was engaging. I think this is one of the best Ice Age movies.”
However, some viewers disliked the movie for its predictability, repetitiveness, and lack of originality. For example, one user on Metacritic wrote: “This movie was boring and unoriginal. It was just a rehash of the previous movies with some new characters thrown in. The jokes were stale and the plot was thin. I think this franchise has run out of ideas.” Another user on IMDb wrote: “This movie was disappointing and forgettable. It was just a cash grab with no heart or soul. The characters were annoying and the story was lame. I think this franchise should end now.”
How did the movie perform at the box office?
Ice Age: Continental Drift was a huge success at the box office, despite the mixed reviews from critics. The film had a budget of $95 million and it grossed $879.7 million worldwide, making it the fifth highest-grossing film of 2012 and the highest-grossing animated film of 2012. The film also broke several records, such as:
- The highest-grossing Ice Age film in the franchise.
- The highest-grossing animated film based on an original property.
- The highest-grossing animated film in Latin America ($184 million), Europe ($296 million), and Asia ($269 million).
- The highest-grossing animated film in Brazil ($34 million), France ($55 million), Germany ($44 million), Russia ($50 million), China ($66 million), India ($18 million), and South Korea ($23 million).
Why should you watch Ice Age: Continental Drift?
Ice Age: Continental Drift is a movie that you should watch if you are looking for a fun and furry adventure for the whole family. The movie has a lot of positive aspects, such as:
- It has a lot of humor, action, emotion, and heart.
- It has a lot of colorful and likable characters that you will root for.
- It has a lot of stunning and vibrant animation that will dazzle your eyes.
- It has a lot of catchy and upbeat songs that will make you tap your feet.
- It has a lot of messages and themes that will make you think and feel.
What are some of the best moments and quotes from the movie?
Ice Age: Continental Drift has a lot of memorable and funny moments and quotes that will make you laugh and smile. Some of them are:
- The opening scene where Scrat causes the continental drift by chasing his acorn.
- The scene where Sid introduces his Granny to Manny and Diego and she reveals that she has a pet whale named Precious.
- The scene where Manny and his friends encounter the sirens that take the form of their loved ones or desires.
- The scene where Diego and Shira flirt with each other while fighting on the pirate ship.
- The scene where Granny uses Precious to blast the pirates with water jets.
- The scene where Peaches and Louis stand up to Ethan and his friends and join the battle.
- The scene where Manny and Gutt have their final showdown on the ice ship.
- The quote by Sid: “We’re not sinking, we’re crashing!”
- The quote by Granny: “I’m a hungry little old lady, and I want a sloth burger with a side of sloth fries!”
- The quote by Gutt: “I am the master of the seas. You have no idea who you’re messing with. I’m going to make you wish you never existed.”
- The quote by Diego: “You’re pretty soft for a saber.”
- The quote by Shira: “You’re pretty cute for a kitty.”
- The quote by Manny: “You’re my family, and I love you. But you’re terrible. You’re all terrible.”
- The quote by Peaches: “I’m not your little girl anymore. I’m part of the herd.”
- The quote by Louis: “You guys are like heroes. You know, like superheroes. But better, because you’re real.”
Where can you download or stream Ice Age: Continental Drift?
If you want to watch Ice Age: Continental Drift at home, you have several options to download or stream it online. Some of them are:
- You can buy or rent the movie on digital platforms such as iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, or FandangoNOW.
- You can watch the movie on streaming services such as Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, or Starz (depending on your region and subscription).
- You can download the movie from torrent sites such as The Pirate Bay, 1337x, RARBG, or YTS (but be careful of the legal and security risks).
However, before you download or stream Ice Age: Continental Drift, you should check the quality, format, size, and language of the file. You should also make sure that you have a good internet connection and a compatible device to play the movie.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about Ice Age: Continental Drift:
No, Ice Age: Continental Drift is not based on a true story. It is a fictional story that uses some historical and scientific elements, such as the continental drift theory, the ice age period, and the prehistoric animals. However, the movie does not follow the actual timeline or events of these elements, and it adds a lot of fantasy and comedy to them.
Yes, Ice Age: Continental Drift is suitable for kids of all ages. The movie is rated PG for mild rude humor and action/peril. The movie does not contain any violence, nudity, profanity, or drugs. The movie is also educational, as it teaches kids about different animals, cultures, and geology. The movie is also fun, as it has a lot of jokes, songs, and games that kids will enjoy.
No, Ice Age: Continental Drift is not the last Ice Age movie. There is another sequel called Ice Age: Collision Course (2016), which is the fifth and final installment in the Ice Age film series. The movie follows Scrat’s pursuit of his acorn that leads him to outer space, where he accidentally sets off a series of cosmic events that threaten to destroy Earth. Manny and his friends must find a way to stop the impending doom and save their world.
The moral of Ice Age: Continental Drift is that family and friends are the most important things in life, and that you should always stick together and support each other. The movie also shows that you should be yourself and follow your dreams, and that you should not let others judge you or tell you what to do. The movie also teaches that you should respect and appreciate the diversity and beauty of nature, and that you should not harm or exploit it for your own selfish purposes.
The best character in Ice Age: Continental Drift is a matter of personal opinion, as different viewers may have different preferences and opinions. However, some of the most popular and beloved characters in the movie are:
- Scrat: Scrat is the fan-favorite character of the Ice Age franchise, as he provides a lot of comic relief and fun with his hilarious and relentless pursuit of his acorn. Scrat is also the catalyst of the main events of the movie, as he causes the continental drift and helps Manny and his friends defeat Gutt.
- Granny: Granny is a new character introduced in the movie, and she quickly becomes a favorite among viewers. Granny is Sid’s grandmother who is feisty and eccentric. She has a pet whale named Precious who helps her and her friends in their journey. Granny also has a lot of funny lines and moments, such as when she insults Gutt or when she reveals her hidden stash of weapons.
- Diego: Diego is one of the original characters of the Ice Age franchise, and he remains a favorite among viewers. Diego is a saber-toothed tiger who is loyal, brave, and sarcastic. He also has a romantic subplot with Shira, a female pirate saber-toothed tiger who joins his herd. Diego also has a lot of action scenes and witty remarks, such as when he fights with Squint or when he teases Manny.