How to Download and Fill Out the IMM 5257 Form for Canada Visitor Visa in 2023
If you are planning to visit Canada for temporary purposes such as tourism, business, or family visit, you may need to apply for a visitor visa (also known as a temporary resident visa). One of the documents you need to submit with your application is the IMM 5257 Form, which is an application form for visitor visa. In this article, we will explain what the IMM 5257 Form is, who needs to fill it out, what are the requirements for it, how to download it, how to fill it out, and how to submit it. By following these steps, you will be able to complete your application for Canada visitor visa in 2023.
What is the IMM 5257 Form?
The IMM 5257 Form is an application form for visitor visa (temporary resident visa) that allows individuals to apply for a visa to visit Canada for temporary purposes. The form is released by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and was last revised on April 1, 2022. The form consists of two pages with 14 sections that require personal information, travel information, contact information, immigration status, employment information, and background information. The form also includes a series of statements that require a yes or no answer. The form is available in both English and French languages.
Who needs to fill out the IMM 5257 Form?
Not everyone who wants to visit Canada needs to fill out the IMM 5257 Form. Only those who need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) need to fill out this form. Whether you need a visitor visa or not depends on your nationality, the purpose and duration of your visit, and your travel documents. You can check if you need a visitor visa by using the online tool on the IRCC website. Generally speaking, if you are from a visa-exempt country, you do not need a visitor visa to enter Canada. However, you may still need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are flying to Canada. An eTA is a separate document that you can apply for online. If you are from a non-visa-exempt country, you need a visitor visa to enter Canada. You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper by filling out the IMM 5257 Form.
What are the requirements for the IMM 5257 Form?
To fill out and submit the IMM 5257 Form successfully, you need to meet certain requirements. These include:
- You must have a valid passport or travel document that does not expire within six months of your planned date of departure from Canada.
- You must have enough money to support yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada.
- You must have no criminal or immigration-related convictions or violations.
- You must have no medical conditions that could pose a health or safety risk to Canadians.
- You must have no intention of working or studying in Canada without proper authorization.
- You must have a clear purpose and plan for your visit to Canada.
- You must have strong ties to your home country that will compel you to return after your visit.
- You must comply with the conditions of your visa if granted.
In addition to these requirements, you may also need to provide other supporting documents with your IMM 5257 Form, such as:
- A letter of invitation from a Canadian host or organization.
- A copy of your flight itinerary or travel tickets.
- A proof of medical insurance coverage for your stay in Canada.
- A proof of financial means or sponsorship.
- A police clearance certificate or criminal record check.
- A medical examination report or health certificate.
The exact documents you need may vary depending on your country of origin, the type and length of your visit, and the visa office where you apply. You can find the document checklist for your specific situation on the IRCC website.
How to download the IMM 5257 Form?
Downloading the IMM 5257 Form is a simple and straightforward process. You can download the form from the official website of IRCC by following these steps:
Step 1: Visit the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
The first step is to visit the official website of IRCC at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship.html. This is the main portal for all immigration-related information and services in Canada. You can access the website from any device with an internet connection, such as a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
Step 2: Find the application package for visitor visa (temporary resident visa)
The next step is to find the application package for visitor visa (temporary resident visa) on the IRCC website. You can do this by clicking on the “Immigrate” tab on the top menu bar, then selecting “Visit” from the drop-down list. Alternatively, you can use the search box on the top right corner and type in “visitor visa” or “IMM 5257”. This will take you to a page where you can find information about visitor visa eligibility, requirements, fees, processing times, and application forms.
Step 3: Download the fillable PDF version of the IMM 5257 Form
The final step is to download the fillable PDF version of the IMM 5257 Form from the IRCC website. You can do this by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking on the link that says “Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) – Apply on paper”. This will open a new page where you can see a list of application forms and guides for visitor visa. You can download the IMM 5257 Form by clicking on the link that says “Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257] (PDF, 556.66 KB)”. This will open a new window where you can view, save, or print the form. You can also right-click on the link and choose “Save link as” or “Save target as” to save the form on your device.
How to fill out the IMM 5257 Form?
Filling out the IMM 5257 Form is a crucial part of your application for Canada visitor visa. You need to fill out the form accurately and completely, as any errors or omissions could result in delays or refusals of your application. You also need to fill out the form electronically using Adobe Reader software, as handwritten forms are not accepted. You can fill out the form by following these steps:
Step 1: Enter your personal information
The first step is to enter your personal information in section A of the form. This includes your full name, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, gender, marital status, passport number, passport issue date, passport expiry date, current country of residence, and previous countries of residence. You also need to indicate if you have ever applied for or obtained a Canadian visa or permit before, and if so, provide details such as type, number, issue date, expiry date, and place of issue. You also need to indicate if you have ever been refused a visa or permit by Canada or any other country before, and if so, provide details such as reason and date.
Step 2: Enter your travel information
The next step is to enter your travel information in section B of the form. This includes your purpose of visit to Canada
(such as tourism, business, family visit, etc.), your intended date of arrival and departure, your funds available for your stay, and your destination address in Canada. You also need to indicate if you have any family members or friends in Canada, and if so, provide their names, relationships, addresses, and immigration statuses. You also need to indicate if you are traveling with someone else to Canada, and if so, provide their names and relationships.
Step 3: Enter your contact information
The third step is to enter your contact information in section C of the form. This includes your current mailing address, telephone number, email address, and fax number (if applicable). You also need to indicate if you want to authorize a representative to act on your behalf for your application, and if so, provide their name, address, telephone number, email address, fax number (if applicable), and relationship to you. You also need to sign and date the form to give your consent to the representative.
Step 4: Enter your immigration status and employment information
The fourth step is to enter your immigration status and employment information in section D of the form. This includes your current immigration status in your country of residence (such as citizen, permanent resident, student, worker, visitor, etc.), the date you obtained that status, and the expiry date of that status (if applicable). You also need to indicate if you have ever been granted permanent residence or landed immigrant status in Canada before, and if so, provide details such as date and place of landing. You also need to enter your current occupation and employer’s name and address. If you are retired or unemployed, you need to indicate that as well. You also need to indicate if you have any previous occupations or employers in the past 10 years.
Step 5: Enter your background information
The fifth and final step is to enter your background information in section E of the form. This includes a series of questions that require a yes or no answer. These questions are related to your health, criminal history, security concerns, military service, political activities, human rights violations, and previous applications to Canada. You need to answer these questions honestly and truthfully, as any false or misleading information could result in the refusal or cancellation of your visa. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you need to provide details such as dates, places, circumstances, and outcomes in the space provided or on a separate sheet of paper.
How to submit the IMM 5257 Form?
Once you have filled out the IMM 5257 Form completely and accurately, you are ready to submit it along with other supporting documents for your application for Canada visitor visa. You can submit your application online or by mail by following these steps:
Step 1: Check your application for completeness and accuracy
The first step is to check your application for completeness and accuracy before submitting it. You can do this by using the document checklist provided by IRCC for your specific situation. You need to make sure that you have all the required forms and documents for your application, that they are filled out correctly and legibly, that they are signed and dated where applicable, that they are not expired or damaged, that they are translated into English or French if they are in another language, and that they are arranged in the order specified by the checklist. You also need to make sure that you have answered all the questions on the IMM 5257 Form truthfully and completely.
Step 2: Pay the application fee online or at a bank
The next step is to pay the application fee for your visitor visa. The fee is $100 CAD per person. You can pay the fee online using a credit card or a debit card on the IRCC website. You will receive a receipt with a confirmation number after you pay online. You need to print this receipt and include it with your application. Alternatively, you can pay the fee at a bank in Canada or abroad using an official payment form from IRCC. You will receive a stamped receipt from the bank after you pay. You need to include this receipt with your application.
Step 3: Submit your application online or by mail
The final step is to submit your application online or by mail. If you choose to submit online,
you need to create an online account on the IRCC website and upload your scanned forms and documents. You will also need to upload a digital photo of yourself that meets the specifications of IRCC. You will receive a confirmation email after you submit online. You can also track the status of your application online using your account. If you choose to submit by mail, you need to print your forms and documents and put them in an envelope. You will also need to include two passport-sized photos of yourself that meet the specifications of IRCC. You need to mail your application to the visa office that serves your country or region. You can find the address of the visa office on the IRCC website. You will receive a confirmation letter by mail after your application is received by the visa office. You can also check the status of your application by contacting the visa office.
In conclusion, the IMM 5257 Form is an important document for applying for a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to Canada. You need to download, fill out, and submit the form along with other supporting documents to complete your application. By following the steps outlined in this article, you will be able to download and fill out the IMM 5257 Form for Canada visitor visa in 2023.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the IMM 5257 Form:
- Q: How long does it take to process the IMM 5257 Form?
- A: The processing time for the IMM 5257 Form depends on various factors, such as the volume of applications, the completeness and accuracy of your application, the country or region where you apply, and the security checks required. You can check the estimated processing time for your specific situation on the IRCC website.
- Q: How can I check the status of my IMM 5257 Form?
- A: You can check the status of your IMM 5257 Form online or by contacting the visa office where you applied. If you submitted online, you can log in to your online account on the IRCC website and view your application status. If you submitted by mail, you can contact the visa office by phone, email, or mail and provide your application number and personal information.
- Q: What if I make a mistake on my IMM 5257 Form?
- A: If you make a mistake on your IMM 5257 Form, you need to correct it as soon as possible before submitting it. If you have not submitted yet, you can edit the form electronically using Adobe Reader software or download a new form and fill it out again. If you have already submitted, you need to contact the visa office where you applied and inform them of your mistake. You may need to provide additional documents or information to verify your correction.
- Q: What if I need more space on my IMM 5257 Form?
- A: If you need more space on your IMM 5257 Form, you can use a separate sheet of paper and attach it to your form. You need to indicate on your form that you are using an additional sheet and write your name and date of birth on each sheet. You also need to number each sheet and indicate which section and question it refers to.
- Q: What if I have questions or problems with my IMM 5257 Form?
- A: If you have questions or problems with your IMM 5257 Form, you can seek help from various sources. You can consult the instruction guide that accompanies the form for detailed information and guidance. You can also visit the IRCC website for more resources and updates. You can also contact the visa office where you applied for assistance or clarification.