iOS 14 Download Free for iPhone 6: Is It Possible and How to Do It
iOS 14 is the latest version of Apple’s operating system for iPhones and iPads. It was released in September 2020 and it brings a lot of new features and improvements to the user experience. But can you download iOS 14 for free on your iPhone 6? And if so, how can you do it? In this article, we will answer these questions and more.
What is iOS 14 and Why You Should Download It
iOS 14 is the fourteenth major update of iOS, the software that runs on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. It introduces a lot of changes to the way you use your device, such as:
The Main Features of iOS 14
- Home screen widgets: You can now add widgets to your home screen that show you useful information from your apps, such as weather, news, calendar, photos, music, and more. You can also create a Smart Stack of widgets that automatically shows you the most relevant widget based on the time, location, and activity.
- App Library: You can now access all your apps from a new App Library that automatically organizes them into categories. You can also hide some of your home screen pages to keep your home screen clean and simple.
- App Clips: You can now discover and use a small part of an app without downloading it. App Clips are triggered by scanning a QR code, tapping an NFC tag, or opening a link from Safari or Messages. They are useful for completing quick tasks, such as ordering food, renting a bike, or paying for parking.
- Compact design: You can now enjoy a more immersive experience on your device with a compact design for phone calls, FaceTime calls, Siri interactions, and video playback. These features now appear as small banners or windows that don’t take up the whole screen.
- Messages: You can now pin your favorite conversations to the top of your messages list, mention specific people in group chats, reply to specific messages with inline replies, and customize your group chats with photos or emojis.
- Maps: You can now get cycling directions, explore guides for places to eat, shop, and visit, and see more detailed information about places, such as congestion zones, speed cameras, and electric vehicle charging stations.
- Privacy: You can now have more control over how apps access your data and location. You can also see indicators when an app is using your camera or microphone, and get privacy reports for websites you visit in Safari.
The Benefits of Updating to iOS 14
Updating to iOS 14 can bring you many benefits, such as:
- Better performance: iOS 14 is designed to make your device faster and more responsive. It also improves battery life and reduces storage usage.
- Better security: iOS 14 includes the latest security patches and fixes that protect your device from hackers and malware. It also adds new features that enhance your privacy and security, such as password monitoring, sign in with Apple ID, and app tracking transparency.
- Better compatibility: iOS 14 ensures that your device can run the latest apps and games that require the newest version of iOS. It also enables you to use new accessories and services that work with iOS 14.
- Better experience: iOS 14 gives you a more personalized and enjoyable experience on your device. It lets you customize your home screen with widgets and app library, discover new apps with app clips, enjoy a more immersive view with compact design, communicate better with messages, explore new places with maps, and more.
- Hardware limitations: The iPhone 6 has an older processor, less RAM, and less storage than the newer models. This means that it may not be able to handle the new features and performance demands of iOS 14.
- Software compatibility: The iPhone 6 runs on a 32-bit architecture, while iOS 14 is designed for a 64-bit architecture. This means that some of the apps and games that are optimized for iOS 14 may not work on the iPhone 6.
- Security risks: The iPhone 6 may not have the latest security updates and patches that are included in iOS 14. This means that it may be more vulnerable to hackers and malware attacks.
- Market strategy: Apple may want to encourage users to upgrade to newer models of iPhones by limiting the support for older models. This way, they can increase their sales and profits.
- Jailbreaking: Jailbreaking is a process that removes the software limitations imposed by Apple on your device. It allows you to install apps and tweaks that are not available on the App Store, as well as customizing your device’s appearance and settings. However, jailbreaking also voids your warranty, exposes your device to security risks, and may cause instability and performance issues.
- Downgrading: Downgrading is a process that allows you to revert your device’s software to an older version. It may be possible to downgrade your device from iOS 13 to iOS 12, and then use a jailbreak tool to install iOS 14. However, downgrading also requires you to erase your device’s data, may cause compatibility issues with some apps and services, and may not work with all devices and firmware versions.
- Spoofing: Spoofing is a process that tricks your device into thinking that it is a different model or version. It may be possible to spoof your device’s identity and make it appear as an iPhone 6s or higher, and then download iOS 14 from Apple’s servers. However, spoofing also requires you to use a computer and a special software, may damage your device’s hardware or software, and may not work with all devices and firmware versions.
- Bricking: Bricking is a term that refers to rendering your device unusable or unresponsive. This may happen if you use an incompatible or faulty software or tool, or if you make a mistake during the installation process. If your device gets bricked, you may not be able to restore it or recover your data.
- Bugs: Bugs are errors or glitches that affect the functionality or performance of your device or software. Installing iOS 14 on your iPhone 6 may cause some bugs, such as crashes, freezes, lags, battery drain, overheating, or loss of features.
- Bans: Bans are penalties or restrictions that Apple may impose on your device or account if they detect that you have violated their terms and conditions. Installing iOS 14 on your iPhone 6 may result in some bans, such as losing access to the App Store , iCloud, Apple Music, or Apple Pay. You may also lose your warranty or AppleCare coverage.
- Updates: Updates are new versions or patches of software that fix bugs, improve performance, or add features. Installing iOS 14 on your iPhone 6 may prevent you from receiving future updates from Apple, or cause problems with updating your device. You may also miss out on some of the new features or improvements that are exclusive to the official iOS 14.
- Turn off unnecessary features and settings, such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, location services, background app refresh, notifications, etc.
- Adjust your screen brightness and turn on auto-brightness.
- Close apps that you are not using and clear app cache regularly.
- Use low power mode when your battery is low.
- Update your apps and software regularly.
- Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity.
Is iPhone 6 Compatible with iOS 14?
Now that you know what iOS 14 is and why you should download it, you might be wondering if your iPhone 6 can support it. Unfortunately, the answer is no. iPhone 6 is not compatible with iOS 14 and cannot run it.
The Official List of Supported Devices
According to Apple, the official list of devices that can run iOS 14 are:
|iPhone 12||iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)||iPod touch (7th generation)|
|iPhone 12 mini||iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)|
|iPhone 12 Pro||iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)|
|iPhone 11||iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)|
|iPhone 11 Pro||iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max||iPad Pro 10.5-inch|
|iPhone XS||iPad Pro 9.7-inch|
|iPhone XS Max||iPad (8th generation)|
|iPhone XR||iPad (7th generation)|
|iPhone X||iPad (6th generation)|
|iPhone 8||iPad (5th generation)|
|iPhone 8 Plus||iPad mini (5th generation)|
|iPhone 7||iPad mini 4|
|iPhone 7 Plus||iPad Air (4th generation)|
|iPhone SE (2nd generation)||iPad Air (3rd generation)||iPad Air 2|
|iPhone SE (1st generation)||iPad Air (1st generation)|
|iPhone 6s Plus|
As you can see, the iPhone 6 is not on the list of supported devices. This means that Apple has not released iOS 14 for the iPhone 6 and it does not officially support it.
The Reasons Why iPhone 6 Is Not Supported
There are several reasons why Apple has decided to not support the iPhone 6 with iOS 14. Some of them are:
How to Download iOS 14 on Your iPhone 6
If you still want to download iOS 14 on your iPhone 6, despite knowing that it is not officially supported, you may have some options. However, these options are not recommended and they may come with some risks and drawbacks.
The Unofficial Methods to Install iOS 14 on iPhone 6
There are some unofficial methods that claim to allow you to install iOS 14 on your iPhone 6. These methods involve using third-party software or tools that bypass Apple’s restrictions and modify your device’s firmware. Some of these methods are:
The Risks and Drawbacks of Using Unofficial Methods
Using any of these unofficial methods to install iOS 14 on your iPhone 6 may seem tempting, but they also come with some risks and drawbacks. Some of them are:
iOS 14 is the latest and greatest version of Apple’s operating system for iPhones and iPads. It offers a lot of new features and benefits that can enhance your user experience and satisfaction. However, iOS 14 is not compatible with the iPhone 6 and cannot be installed on it officially. If you want to download iOS 14 on your iPhone 6, you may have to use some unofficial methods that are not recommended and may come with some risks and drawbacks. Therefore, it is better to stick with the official iOS version for your device, or consider upgrading to a newer model of iPhone that supports iOS 14.
Q: How can I check if my iPhone is compatible with iOS 14?
A: You can check if your iPhone is compatible with iOS 14 by going to Settings > General > Software Update. If you see a message that says “iOS 14 is available”, then your device is compatible. If you see a message that says “Your software is up to date”, then your device is not compatible.
Q: How can I backup my iPhone before installing iOS 14?
A: You can backup your iPhone before installing iOS 14 by using iCloud or iTunes. To backup with iCloud, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup and tap Back Up Now. To backup with iTunes, connect your device to your computer, open iTunes, select your device, and click Back Up Now.
Q: How can I restore my iPhone if it gets bricked or damaged by installing iOS 14?
A: You can restore your iPhone if it gets bricked or damaged by installing iOS 14 by using recovery mode or DFU mode. To use recovery mode, connect your device to your computer, open iTunes, and press and hold the power and home buttons until you see the connect to iTunes screen. Then, click Restore in iTunes and follow the instructions. To use DFU mode, connect your device to your computer, open iTunes, and press and hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep holding the home button until you see a message in iTunes that says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode”. Then, click Restore in iTunes and follow the instructions.
Q: How can I update my iPhone to the official iOS 14 if I have installed it using an unofficial method?
A: You can update your iPhone to the official iOS 14 if you have installed it using an unofficial method by restoring your device to its original state and then downloading the update from Apple’s servers. To restore your device to its original state, you may have to use recovery mode or DFU mode as described above. Then, go to Settings > General > Software Update and tap Download and Install.
Q: How can I get the best performance and battery life out of my iPhone running iOS 14?
A: You can get the best performance and battery life out of your iPhone running iOS 14 by following some tips, such as: